Monday, February 21, 2011

Material Value Study


        I am very proud of my material value study. This was, I think, the first check plus I got on an assignment this semester. Starting from the left and moving to the right,  chose to do bamboo for my wood flooring, then looped carpet, then a type of granite tile, and last a textured textile. We used both pen and pencil, which I decided the group the value studies by material, rather than medium. 
        At this point, I was already very comfortable with shading with pencil, but not to much with pen. Ink usually makes me nervous because I know that you can't erase it once you mess up, so I knew I had to practice. The zoomed out pen was actually a happy accident, I didn't know when I was doing it on my final that it would turn out so nice and so much like bamboo. With carpet, I knew that all I had to do was the dreaded stippling that takes so long and is so tedious, but I knew I had to do it to accurately depict how the carpet reacted to different lights. The zoomed out tile was also a unintended. I didn't think that what I was making was a grout line with the tile until someone mentioned it. But the textile was a little harder to make accurate and believable because it has such defined stitch lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment